The BRAMWELL FOUNDATION, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, is currently soliciting quotations for the completion of THE PENCE HOTEL STABILIZATION PROJECT grant funded by the PRESERVATION ALLIANCE OF WEST VIRGINIA. This is a historic building project that must follow the Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation. The Pence Hotel was built around 1911 and is located on Main Street, Bramwell, WV.
SCOPE OF WORK NEEDED
STAGE 1: WORK TO BE COMPLETED
1. Conduct a mortar test to determine the composition of the historic mortar and to ensure a close match. Submit a photograph of the sample and historic mortars to the grantor, the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia for approval. Do a test area to ensure the color matches once it dries.
2. Secure and relay loose bricks located above (4) brick arched windows.
3. On the west and south exterior walls, remove and replace all loose brick with brick matching the original as closely as possible
4. Hand rake the existing masonry joints to clean out the remaining mortar and any false work. Re-point all exterior masonry joins, replacing all loose or missing mortar with the approved mortar sample.
STAGE 1: APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Secure the area to protect persons & property from any falling debris below the work area(s). Remove any loose brick. Prep work area. Relay of brick in arched pattern consistent with original building structure. Cleanup of areas relating to that project.
2. Either scaffolding or a custom-built workbox to be erected.
STAGE 2: WORK TO BE COMPLETED
1. Secure all orifices exposed to outside elements (36 window openings/ 7 doors).
2. Cover window and door openings with appropriate heavy gage plastic to seal from weather.
STAGE 2: APPLICATION PROCESSES
1. Attach plastic firmly to current window frames or install temporary framing where necessary.
The contractor hired must meet the following qualifications:
1. Have performed similar work in the past or be able to prove ability to do work that meets the Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation.
2. Submit 2 project summaries with references and contact information.
3. Proof of general liability insurance and contractor’s license.
4. Ability to complete PENCE HOTEL STABILIZATION PROJECT by DECEMBER 31, 2022.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST:
Companies or individuals interested in submitting a bid or quote on the project should submit a detail of costs, project summaries, references, proof of general liability insurance, and a copy of their contractor’s license to the BRAMWELL FOUNDATION, PO BOX 193, BRAMWELL WV 24715.
Bids/quotes are due by 12 pm on Saturday, Saturday March 5, 2022.
THE BRAMWELL FOUNDATION and the grantor, the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia, will review all proposals and select a contractor for the project based on:
1. Experience with similar types of projects,
2. Proven ability to complete a project in a timely manner, and
3. Competitive cost to complete the project. A selection will be made within two weeks and a contract will be worked out immediately with the company.
One third (1/3) of the contract amount will be paid the day the work begins, and the remaining two thirds (2/3) will be paid upon satisfactory completion of the project.
Further questions regarding the project or for an appointment to access the building contact John Houston 304-248-7382.
ELKINS W.Va. – The Preservation Alliance of West Virginia announces it has joined West Virginia BusinessLink as a Resource Partner available to the state’s small businesses. West Virginia BusinessLink assembles an array of resources in one online destination.
“We welcome all Resource Partners to West Virginia BusinessLink,” said Secretary Mitch Carmichael, West Virginia Department of Economic Development. “Our goal is for West Virginia to be competitive as a great place for businesses to locate, start and grow successful. Providing support through resources such as West Virginia BusinessLink and every great Resource Partner helps make that possible.”
PAWV services all types of historic building projects and assists all types of building owners such as residential homeowners, commercial developers, and public agencies. PAWV's services include technical assistance and guidance in areas of financing, fundraising, obtaining estimates/bids, and historic preservation in general. PAWV also offers a short-term microloan with a fixed interest rate and competitive grant funding to help bridge the gap in redevelopment projects involving historic buildings.
To utilize BusinessLink, West Virginia’s business owners and entrepreneurs can visit wvbusinesslink.com, use the “Connect to Resources” box to find resources in a specific area, explore upcoming training and networking events in the calendar, and find supportive information in the “STARTUP, “GROWTH” and “FUNDING” tabs.
In the “Connect to Resources” box, website visitors can answer questions about their company and what they need. BusinessLink analyzes the replies, scours the database of Resource Partners, calculates the best matches and responds to the business owner with referrals. The process of searching for resources and providers becomes faster and more effective.
BusinessLink is free to use and available 24/7. One-on-one appointments to discuss business needs can also be requested by calling 888-982-7232.
Services available from BusinessLink Resource Partners include the following:
“West Virginia BusinessLink makes it easy to find all the resources a small business owner needs. It connects them with the right resources at the right time,” said Director Debra Martin, WV Small Business Development Center. “Until now, it was difficult and time consuming to determine what agencies and organizations are available to help small business owners and entrepreneurs. We hope BusinessLink resolves this issue and helps position these individuals and their businesses for long term success.”
News and Notes
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive e-news updates on historic preservation news and events in West Virginia.