Wheeling, Ohio County
2017 Update: Returned to its original name of the Capitol Theatre, the venue is saved and functioning as it was originally intended - a beautiful space for plays, concerts, and more. The Capitol is a member of PAWV’s West Virginia Historic Theatre Trail.
2010 Update: Capitol Music Hall of Wheeling from the 2009 list, has reopened and is no longer considered to be endangered.
2009: Since its opening in 1928, this grand Beaux-Arts theater has played a vital part in Wheeling’s economy and image. Listed as a “pivotal structure” in the Wheeling Historic District, the theater is the home of legendary Jamboree USA, which has been broadcasting live over WWVA Radio since 1933. The theater has also been home to the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra and various other musical, dance, and theater groups over the years. The building was closed in May 2007 as a result of twenty-three life safety-fire code violations.
Subsequent architectural and economic feasibility studies have shown the building remains a viable theater. Recently, a consortium of Wheeling area non-profit organizations purchased the building and are now engaged in trying to raise the funds needed to save this local icon.
Clarksburg, Harrison County
2017 Update: No updates have been made available to PAWV in 2017.
As of the site’s last progress update to PAWV in mid-2016, the Waldo was mothballed, awaiting redevelopment. In 2014-2015, the property was under contract for sale, with the potential new owners planning to rehab it as a boutique hotel / condo development. Due to financing issues, however, the sale fell through. Still, part of the deal required immediate repairs, which led to progress – including the hotel’s interior being cleaned out, non-historic additions being removed, and temporary roof repairs being made. The Vandalia Heritage Foundation is now applying for historic tax credits and is searching for a capable development/construction team that can help the foundation renovate the property.
2009: A pivotal structure in downtown Clarksburg’s Historic District, the Waldo Hotel is currently in a stable, “mothballed” condition. A 2007 feasibility study supported redevelopment of the Waldo Hotel to its original use. However, the property is threatened by a demolition order from the City of Clarksburg, which has stated it is a public safety hazard and in violation of city code. The Beaux-Arts style building with Moorish influences, currently owned by the Vandalia Heritage Foundation, was designed by noted architect Harrison Albright of Charleston and completed in 1904. Construction was financed by Nathan Goff, Jr., who left the property to his sons Guy D. and Waldo Goff. It was the official residence of Senator Guy D. Goff during his term (1925- 31) and site of a 1928 meeting of conservative Republican U.S. Senators who supported Goff as the presidential nominee over Herbert Hoover.
Glenville, Gilmer County
2017: No updates have been made available to PAWV in 2017.
2009: The Old Pratt Truss Bridge spans 265 feet across the Little Kanawha River. In 1884, the Gilmer County Commission purchased steel components from the Canton Iron Works, Canton, Ohio and contracted with Stewart and Sheirriff’s of Richmond, Virginia to build the bridge. The construction of the bridge greatly enhanced the development of the city of Glenville and Glenville State College. Nominated to the National Register in 1998, the historic bridge now lays decommissioned from use. Lack of maintenance has led to severe deterioration of the bridge’s structural system.
Mullens, Wyoming County
2017: The Rural Appalachian Improvement League, Inc. continues to maintain the building. They are planning an exterior paint project before the end of 2017. Other projects that are necessary to complete the building’s rehabilitation will require professional help. As with many of the other Endangered Properties, finding funding sources has been a challenge.
2009: Coal Baron Major W. T. Tams built the Wyco Coal Camp “C” in 1917, soon after establishing his coal camp at nearby Tams in Raleigh County. In Wyco both of the churches built for the white and African-American families remain, along with the Superintendents house and other dwellings. In the 1990’s the Wyco Church was abandoned. Since that time the roof has become compromised and water intrusion has led to ongoing deterioration of the structure. In 2003 ownership of the church was transferred to the Rural Appalachian Improvement League (RAIL). Currently, RAIL is seeking assistance in it efforts to stabilize and eventually restore the historic church
2013 Update: First Ward School has been transformed into sixteen affordable apartment for seniors 55 and older. Designed in the Georgian Revival Style, the school was built in 1907 and served as First Ward Grade School until 1976, when it was converted into a warehouse for the Randolph County Board of Education. In 2009, Citizens for Historical Opportunity, Preservation, and Education (C-HOPE) purchased the building from the Randolph County Board of Education for $1. It nominated the old school to Preservation Alliance’s 2009 West Virginia Endangered Properties List, conducted a feasibility analysis, successfully nominated it to the National Register of Historic Places, and received a grant to fix the roof. C-HOPE worked with the Randolph County Housing Authority and AU Associates to repurpose the building into the apartments.
2009: First Ward was designed in the Georgian Revival style and constructed in 1909 of locally available building materials, These included hand-cut sandstone, brick, and native hardwoods, used in the structural members, flooring, and decorative trim. The building was closed as a school in the 1970s and used as a storage facility for a number of years thereafter. It is essentially abandoned now, and has developed an increasingly serious roof leak. Structurally, the building was relatively stable until the recent roof leaks began. Over the last year or two, it has deteriorated significantly.
2017 Update: No updates have been made available to PAWV in the past six months.
As of the last update to PAWV in January 2017, no physical progress has been made towards rehabilitating this historic property since its 2009 listing on PAWV’s Endangered Properties list. Tyler County Home, also known as the “Poor Farm,” is currently owned by the Tyler County Commissioners, and the property is leased to the Fair Association. In early 2016, ten concerned community members who are passionate about preserving this piece of Tyler County history formed the Tyler County Restoration Committee; they elected Peggy George as its president. Within nine months, the group successfully fundraised $10,000 for the building’s rehabilitation. The building remains vacant and continues to deteriorate due to frequent vandalism and severe water damage (from a leaking roof and from box gutters and downspouts that are in desperate need of stabilization and replacement). The Restoration Committee plans to continue its fundraising efforts in 2017, as well as to conduct a survey to assess the community’s interest in preserving and repurposing the County Home. The members will present their fundraising and survey efforts to the County Commissioners in early 2017. The hope is that they will be able to work together with the County Commissioners to obtain additional funding (such as historic preservation grants) and to get started on the long process of rehabilitating this property.
2009: Also known as the “Poor Farm” or the “Poor House,” the County Home was built early in 1915. The home and associated pauper’s cemetery are a testament to the forgotten disadvantaged and poor who struggled to help build this county and state. The building itself is now idle and serves primarily as storage for old surplus equipment of the County and County Fair Board, and Emergency Management. Water intrusion continues to further damage the building interior and exterior. The County has had insufficient funds to maintain the building and it has slowly deteriorated. Fortunately, lack of funds has also prevented the County from demolishing the building.
2009: McCreery Hotel Construction on the five story “McCreery Hotel” commenced in 1907. When completed in 1908 it was regarded as the premier hotel on the railroad main line extending from Washington DC to Chicago, Illinois. Nominated to the National Register in 1984, it was a resting spot for many of America’s favorite celebrities and politicians. Currently operated by Human Resources Development and Employment, Inc., of Morgantown, the historic Hinton hotel faces considerable restoration challenges. Deteriorating roof and windows have allowed water intrusion to take a toll on the upper floors of the building.
Endangered Properties List
If you are interested in assisting with any of these preservation projects, contact the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia at email@example.com.