2012 Update: In October 2012, the New River Community and Technical College Greenbrier Valley Campus celebrated the opening of its new college library in the historic pink library building. The college library moved into the historic buildings in the summer of 2012 with the intention of serving all five of the college’s campuses, in addition to being open to the public. After being listed on Preservation Alliance of WV’s 2010 Endangered Properties List, the City of Lewisburg replaced the roof, installed a heating and air conditioning system, and rehabilitated the wood windows with the help of Lynn Stasick, statewide field representative. The City of Lewisburg leased the library and annex buildings to the College, which finished the renovations. The main library building was built in 1834 to be used as a law library by the jurist of the State Supreme Court of Virginia, and the annex was a former slave house.
2010: Greenbrier County Public Library is a 1834 Adams style building in Greenbrier County and was significant as the “Library and Study for the Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia” prior to West Virginia statehood in 1863. The building served as a Union hospital and barracks and still has soldier’s inscriptions on the interior walls. Owned by the town of Lewisburg since 1935, it was the Greenbrier County Library from 1941 until 2007. The building is reasonably stable, but interior floors have buckled due to water intrusion, and water pipes have burst from lack of heat. It needs a new roof and rehabilitation of windows and bathrooms. The New River Community and Technical College is interested in creating a student fine arts gallery and arts library here.
Endangered Properties List
If you are interested in assisting with any of these preservation projects, contact the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia at email@example.com.