Second Creek, Monroe County
Date of Construction: c. 1800
Reed’s Mill, originally named “McDowell’s Mill” was constructed by Archibald McDowell. It is believed that the mill was constructed sometime between 1791 and 1837. The grist mill is historically significant because it provides insight into the pattern of settlement in the region and for its relationship with the pioneer McDowell family who built it and the Reed family who owned and operated the mill since 1914.
Second Creek has been called a power stream by those who have lived on it, and it is believed that at one time there were over 22 mills running along the Second Creek. However, Reed’s Mill is the only mill to remain in continuous operation since its construction. In 1992, Larry Mustain became owner of the mill, and he and his son, still work the mill producing two varieties of high quality buckwheat flour. Until recently, the water-powered turbine mill derived its power from Second Creek, but today the mill is electrically operated and also houses a broom-making shop. The mill is located about a mile down Second Creek Road off US 219.
2012: Lynnside Manor (Monroe County) is one of the last remaining Greek Revival dwellings in MonroeCounty and is the central building in the Lynnside Historic District. The main house, Lynnside Manor, was constructed in 1845, most likely by enslaved people working on the surrounding plantation, and served as the Lewis Family home for many generations. The Lewis Family and their enslaved population significantly contributed to the economic development of antebellum Virginia and West Virginia. In 1933, fire engulfed the historic manor, and since then, Lynnside has undergone some restoration efforts that were stalled in the 1950s. Currently, efforts have been restarted with the goal to restore the home and surrounding buildings to their pre-1933 state.
2012: The First Baptist Church (Monroe County) is located in the heart of the Union Historic District. William B. Phillips, master builder and brick mason who once worked under Thomas Jefferson constructed it in 1845, in Jeffersonian Classical Revival style. The church‘s largely white congregation dissipated after the Civil War making it available to a black congregation led by formerly enslaved Reverend Charles Campbell. In 1997, the remaining congregation members deeded the church to the Monroe County Historical Society (MCHS). It has since undergone an extensive preservation project, which was unfortunately halted in April 2006 when tornado-like storms ravaged the building of its prominent 36-foot tower. Since this destruction, MCHS and community members have rallied together to fundraise for the restoration project. The ultimate goal for the project is to make the church available to the community, although its use is not yet determined. Residents are entertaining ideas such as a new location for the Monroe County Museum or a gallery and store for the Monroe County Arts Alliance.
Endangered Properties List
If you are interested in assisting with any of these preservation projects, contact the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia at email@example.com.