Mt. Hope, Fayette County
Date of Construction: 1910
The Mountainair Hotel is the largest contributing structure in the Mt. Hope Historic District. It is an anchor building in the historic district and is historically significant because of its connection to mining. The New River Company constructed the building in the downtown commercial area of Mt. Hope following a fire that devastated the town in 1910. The structure was first used to house office workers, but over time it was transformed into a “club house” for miners and then a hotel to host businessmen. Over the last century, it was known by three different names: Hotel Mount Hope, the New River Hotel, and eventually the Mountainair Hotel. In 1931, it was expanded to 50 hotel rooms and featured a banquet hall and coffee shop. The hotel closed in 1965 after the coal industry in the area began to decline, and Mt. Hope lost over a fifth of its residents between 1950 and 1960.
Over the years, however, a building of this size has proven difficult to maintain, and the Cottles have inherited compromised bricks and mortar. The Cottles are currently seeking funding resources and assistance in rehabilitating the exterior of the structure.
Fayetteville, Fayette County
Construction Date: 1945
2017 Update: No updates have been made available to PAWV in 2017.
As of the last update provided to PAWV in 2016, the Old Esso Service Station’s owners submitted a National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) nomination for the building. The status of the nomination is currently pending. If an NHRP listing is awarded, the owners will apply for a Historic Preservation Development Grant through the WV Division of Culture and History. If they receive the grant, they plan to utilize the funds to replace the roof; they have already obtained estimates for its replacement
Previously in 2016, a temporary roof patch was applied to protect the building until funding could be obtained to replace it. Additionally, the owners removed and replaced the large, broken front window, secured the remaining windows, and removed large trees, brush, and debris from around the building.
2015: The former Esso Service Station is located adjacent to numerous successful businesses and the Fayetteville Historic District. With its block construction walls clad in enameled steel and a wrap-around, curved glass window, the service station is a classic example of the Art Deco style.
The building was used as an auto service and filling station from the time of its construction circa 1945 until the late 1990s. After the Esso Station’s closure, the owners neglected the building, which led to a failing roof. In order to save the structure, the roof needs to be replaced as soon as possible. The leaking roof has caused severe water damage and the immediate danger of a possible roof collapse.
In August of 2014, veteran business owners from Fayetteville, purchased the Esso Station with the intent to completely renovate it and pursue a tenant to operate a shop, restaurant, or other commercial venture inside the building. The new owners are very passionate about rehabilitating this property. Their first order of business will be to stabilize the roof system and mothball the building. Since the owners have very little experience with historic preservation, PAWV is proud to provide them with guidance to save the Esso Station before it deteriorates beyond a point of salvage.
ROYAL Corporation was founded in 2006 as a mobile action sports ministry providing church services, bible studies and pastoral care for athletes, event attendees, and more. The ROYAL Family has been traveling nationwide since 2005 hosting events and sharing God's love with this generation through culturally relevant platforms. The organization’s goal is to make sure this young generation understands their value in God's eyes and to empower them to live as ROYALTY.
The group has already begun the clean up process. If you have driven by the school, you will have noticed some building renovations, trimming of trees, and other activities. According to spokesperson Jindy Davis, “ROYAL is beyond excited to be coming to the area and will be bringing in action sports programs to communicate to this young generation their value in God's eyes.” More to come as progress continues.
2017 Update: After many years of unsuccessful attempts to raise interest and funds for the heavily vandalized, water-damaged building, the owners had been considering demolition. However, the school’s preservation now looks hopeful. Within the last six months, Camp Royal has purchased the former Glen Jean School. Currently, there is no progress to report. Camp Royal is a faith-based, non-profit organization whose mission is to provide the best action sports training available to the younger generation.
2014: The old Glen Jean School is the last remaining structure from the original development of Glen Jean by the McKell Family, who established the town as part of their mining operations in the region. It sits adjacent to the Boy Scouts of America Bechtel Summit and the National Park Service Headquarters for the New River Gorge National River. The school ceased operations in 1997, and beginning in 1999, it served as the business offices and visitors center of the Thurmond, Glen Jean & Great New River Railroad. After the sale of the railroad in 2006, the building was closed and used for storage. It has been vacant for eight years. Since 2009, a group of private investors have owned the property and enclosed it. However, in the summer of 2013 it was heavily vandalized, and it has been subject to damaging water infiltration. Currently, the group is mobilizing to take action by assessing the feasibility of a preservation re-use project for high-quality housing and hopes it will have a mixed use.
Fayetteville, Fayette County
Construction Date: 1923
Threat: Deferred Maintenance
2017 Update: The building remains closed and sealed since it had been treated in July 2016 for mold. It will remain sealed until the cleaning phase begins. The School Building Committee is currently working with a local developer for a joint restoration project.
2014: The old Fayetteville High School building is an impressive sandstone structure. It was constructed of locally quarried sandstone by a prominent local stonemason company, C.G. Janutolo and Company, also a member of the Fraternal Order of Masons. The school closed in 1999, and from 2004-2011, it was used for a storage space. During this period, there was no heating system, and it began to deteriorate rapidly. In December 2011, the Fayette County Board of Education deeded the old school to the Town of Fayetteville. The town government has since been devising an adaptive re-use plan to restore the building and turn it into a multi-tenant civic and arts center. The local government established the Town of Fayetteville Old High School Building Committee which applied for grant funds to preserve and convert the property.
Fayetteville, Fayette County
2017 Update: As of the site’s last update report to PAWV, the private owner was planning for renovation. The bike shop is prosperous and very popular with cycling enthusiasts visiting the New River Gorge National River area.
Learn more: http://www.newriverbikes.com/
2012: New River Bikes, historically known as the Fayette Feed Company (Fayette County), is a privately owned, one-story building characterized by its Boomtown façade. Constructed in the 1880s, when Fayetteville was growing as an export and railroad town, this building symbolizes the prosperity of the merchant area in the town’s historic district and is reminiscent of the popular style of commercial structures that tended to be on main streets and in town centers during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Endangered by deterioration, the owner hopes to replace the roof and spruce up the building with the ultimate goal to return it to its historical appearance as a fertilizer and feed store both inside and outside while still maintaining its current use. By building awareness, the owner also hopes to increase and promote historic preservation projects in Fayetteville’s downtown historic district.
The site hosts a number of events which include: An Annual Masquerade Ball, held in “The Golden Ballroom” with a Victorian era theme; Haunted History tours; and car shows. The Whipple Company Store is also now available for event bookings - such as family and school reunions, music and theater performances, anniversaries, and birthday and tea parties. They have already hosted several music events and a family reunion.
The Whipple Company Store is an important heritage destination in the New River Coal Fields, representing a critical element in telling the story of the 1921 mine wars, the struggle for unionization, and the lives of the miners and their families.
2014 Update: Whipple Company Store was designed by the Coal Baron, Justus Collins. This store is one of four he had built, all in this unique architectural fashion, and today the only one left standing. The privately owned Whipple Company Store (Fayette County) circa 1900 was a focal point in the area’s once thriving coal community. Today, it is an important heritage destination in the New River Coal Fields, representing a critical element in telling the story of the 1921 mine wars, the struggle for unionization, and the lives of the miners and their families. The Whipple Company Store was listed as a PAWV 2011 Endangered Property and has now been restored and re-opened as Appalachian Heritage Educational Museum and store.
2011: The privately owned Whipple Company Store (Fayette County) circa 1900 was a focal point in the area’s once thriving coal community. Today, it is an important heritage destination in the New River Coal Fields, representing a critical element in telling the story of the 1921 mine wars, the struggle for unionization, and the lives of the miners and their families. The owners are seeking funding to make critical repairs necessary to preserve the unusual and eye-catching hexagonal building and keep the museum open and accessible to the visiting public.
2010: Hawk’s Nest State Park Museum at Ansted was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. The native chestnut log building sits atop massive fieldstone foundations. Until 2005, the museum housed the Calhoun Collection and Native American artifacts. This building serves as an anchor for the lower park picnic area, gift shop, restrooms, and New River overlook; all constructed by the CCC. The museum closed due to accessibility issues and is in need of major repairs. Work on roof, gutters, siding, timbers, stonework, windows, and heat are all needed. Once repaired, the building can be an interpretation center for the park.
Endangered Properties List
If you are interested in assisting with any of these preservation projects, contact the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia at email@example.com.