WV state seal



WV CW Task Force
Sesquicentennial WV

Civil War In West Virginia:


 (MAP of RAID)

August 20 – Newly appointed Brigadier General Jenkins launches a raid into central Western Virginia with the 8th and 14th Virginia Cavalry. With a force of 550 men he departed Salt Sulphur Springs, Monroe County. He moved down the Tygart Valley to Huttonsville where he captured 6 Union scouts. With the intelligence gained from these prisoners Jenkins determined that the garrison in Beverly was too strong to attack. He moved his command via a bridle path across Rich Mountain and picked up the Staunton/Parkersburg Turnpike.

August 30 – Jenkins enveloped Buckhannon, Upshur County capturing the Federal Garrison. The Rebels occupied the town seizing arms, ordnance, stores, and clothing. The stores that could not be taken were destroyed. “Coffee beans were ankle deep in the street”. August 31 - Jenkins moved west on the Turnpike to Weston, Lewis County. The Federal garrison escaped in the dense fog. The Rebels captured 12 Union troops and destroyed the telegraph.

September 1 – At 11 am Jenkins command arrived in Glenville, Gilmer County. The Rebels fired a single volley which sent 2 companies of Federals fleeing.

September 2 – The Rebels continued west arriving in Spencer, Roane County at 4 pm. Here Jenkins captured Colonel John C. Rathbone’s entire command consisting of 5 companies of the 11th West Virginia Infantry.

September 3 – That evening Jenkins entered Ripley, Jackson County. The only Federal was the Union Paymaster. The Rebels took possession of the payroll of $5,525 US.

September 4 – The Raiders moved on Ravenswood where the Federals retreated across the Ohio River without offering any resistance. That evening Jenkins crossed the Ohio River being the first Confederate forces to move into Ohio. In Racine they captured 25 horses then re-crossed the river.

September 5 – As they entered Point Pleasant the Federal troops barricaded themselves in the Courthouse. Jenkins determined that it would take artillery to dislodge the Union forces. The Confederates then moved on to Buffalo and continued through Barboursville, Logan Courthouse, Wyoming Courthouse (Pineville), and Raleigh Courthouse (Beckley). On September 12 Jenkins completed the 500 mile raid by reporting back to General William W. Loring in the Kanawha Valley.